A SOLDIER LAMENTS 

(Various Pay Commissions and after!!)
 

>How you play with us, did you ever see?
>At Seven, I had decided what I wanted to be;
>I would serve you to the end,
>All these boundaries I would defend.
>
>Now you make me look like a fool,
>When at Seventeen and just out of school;
>Went to the place where they made "men out of boys"
>Lived a tough life …sacrificed a few joys…
>
>In those days, I would see my 'civilian' friends,
>Living a life with the fashion trends;
>Enjoying their so called "College Days"
>While I sweated and bled in the sun and haze…
>But I never thought twice about what where or why
>All I knew was when the time came, I'd be ready to do or die.
>
>At 21 and with my commission in hand,
>Under the glory of the parade and the band,
>I took the oath to protect you over land, air or sea,
>And make the supreme sacrifice when the need came to be.
>
>I stood there with a sense of recognition,
>But on that day I never had the premonition,
>that when the time came to give me my due,
>You'd just say," What is so great that you do?"
>
>Long back you promised a well to do life;
>And when I'm away, take care of my wife.
>You came and saw the hardships I live through,
>And I saw you make a note or two,
>And I hoped you would realise the worth of me;
>but now I know you'll never be able to see,
>Because you only see the glorified life of mine,
>Did you see the place where death looms all the time?
>Did you meet the man standing guard in the snow?
>The name of his newborn he does not know...
>Did you meet the man whose father breathed his last?
>While the sailor patrolled our seas so vast?
>
>You still know I'll not be the one to raise my voice
>I will stand tall and protect you in Punjab Himachal and Thois.
>
>But that's just me you have in the sun and rain,
>For now at Twenty Four, you make me think again;
>About the decision I made, Seven years back;
>Should I have chosen another life, some other track?
>
>Will I tell my son to follow my lead?
>Will I tell my son, you'll get all that you need?
>This is the country you will serve
>This country will give you all that you deserve?
>
>I heard you tell the world "India is shining"
>I told my men, that's a reason for us to be smiling
>This is the India you and I will defend!
>But tell me how long will you be able to pretend?
>You go on promise all that you may,
>But it's the souls of your own men you betray.
>
>Did you read how some of our eminent citizens
>Write about me and ridicule my very existence?
>I ask you to please come and see what I do,
>Come and have a look at what I go through
>Live my life just for a day
>Maybe you'll have something else to say?
>
>I will still risk my life without a sigh
>To keep your flag flying high
>but today I ask myself a question or two…
>Oh India…. Why do I still serve you

.
.
.
.
.
Rajan