Thursday, August 16, 2012

Amazing story from a flight attendant on 
Delta Flight 15, written following 9-11:
On the morning of Tuesday, September 11, we were about 5 
hours out of Frankfurt, flying over the North Atlantic . All of a sudden the curtains parted and I was told to go to the cockpit, immediately, to see the captain. As soon as I got there I noticed 
that the crew had that "All Business" look on their faces. The captain handed me a printed message. It was from Delta's main office in Atlanta andsimply read, "All airways over the 
Continental United States are closed to commercial air traffic. 
Land ASAP at the nearest airport. Advise your destination."

"No one said a word about what this could mean. We knew it was 
a serious situation and we needed to find terra firma quickly. The
captain determined that the nearest airport was 400 miles behind 
us in Gander , New Foundland. He requested approval for a route change from the Canadian traffic controller and approval was granted immediately--no questions asked. We found out later, of course, why there was no hesitation in approving our request.

"While the flight crew prepared the airplane for landing, another
 message arrived from Atlanta telling us about some terrorist activity in the New York area. A few minutes later word came in about the hijackings.

 "We decided to LIE to the passengers while we were still in the 
air. We told them the plane had a simple instrument problem and that we needed to land at the nearest airport in Gander , New Foundland to have it checked out. "We promised to give more information after landing in Gander . There was much grumbling among the passengers, but that's nothing new! Forty minutes later, we landed in Gander . Local time at Gander was12:30 PM! .... 
that's 11:00 AM EST.

"There were already about 20 other airplanes on the ground from all over the world that had taken this detour on their way to the 
U.S. After we parked on the ramp, the captain made the following
announcement: "Ladies and gentlemen, you must be wondering if all these airplanes around us have the same instrument problem as we have. The reality is that we are here for another reason." Then he went on to explain the little bit we knew about the situation in the U.S. There were loud gasps and stares of disbelief. The captain
informed passengers that Ground control in Gander told us to stay

"The Canadian Government was in charge of our situation and no one was allowed to get off the aircraft. No one on the ground was allowed to come near any of the air crafts. Only airport police would come around periodically, look us over and go on to the 
next airplane. In  the next hour or so more planes landed and Gander ended up with 53 airplanes from all over the world, 27 of which were U.S. commercial jets.

 "Meanwhile, bits of news started to come in over the aircraft 
radio and for the first time we learned that airplanes were flown into the World Trade Center in New York and into the Pentagon 
in DC. People were trying to use their cell phones, but were 
unable to connect due to a different cell system in Canada . Some did get through, but were only able to get to the Canadian 
operator who would tell them that the lines to the U.S. were 
either blocked or jammed.

"Sometime in the evening the news filtered to us that the World Trade Center buildings had collapsed and that a fourth hijacking had resulted in a crash. By now the passengers were emotionally and physically exhausted, not to mention frightened, but everyone stayed amazingly calm. We had only to look out the window at 
the 52 other stranded aircraft to realize that we were not the only 
ones in this predicament. "We had been told earlier that they 
would be allowing people off the planes one plane at a time. At 6 PM, Gander airport told us that our turn to deplane would be 11 
am the next morning. Passengers were not happy, but they simply 
resigned themselves to this news without much noise and started 
to prepare themselves to spend the night on the airplane.

" Gander had promised us medical attention, if needed, water, and
 lavatory servicing. And they were true to their word. Fortunately we had no medical situations to worry about. We did have a 
young lady who was 33 weeks into her pregnancy. We took REALLY good care of her.

 The night passed without incident despite the uncomfortable sleeping arrangements. "About 10:30 on the morning of the 12th 
a convoy of school buses showed up. We got off the plane and 
were taken to the terminal where we went through Immigration 
and Customs and then had to register with the Red Cross.

 "After that we (the crew) were separated from the passengers 
and were taken in vans to a small hotel. We had no idea where 
 our passengers were going. We learned from the Red Cross that 
the town of Gander has a population of 10,400 people and they 
had about 10,500 passengers to take care of from all the 
airplanes that were forced into Gander ! We were told to just 
relax at the hotel and we would be contacted when the U.S. 
airports opened again, but not to expect that call for a while.

"We found out the total scope of the terror back home only after
 getting to our hotel and turning on the TV, 24 hours after it all
 started. "Meanwhile, we had lots of time on our hands and found that the people of Gander were extremely friendly. They started calling us the"plane people." We enjoyed their hospitality, 
explored the town of Gander and ended up having a pretty good time.

 "Two days later, we got that call and were taken back to the Gander airport. Back on the plane, we were reunited with the passengers and found out what they had been doing for the past 
two days. What we found out was incredible.

" Gander and all the surrounding communities (within about a 75
 Kilometer radius) had closed all high schools, meeting halls, 
lodges, and any other large gathering places. They converted all these facilities to mass lodging areas for all the stranded travelers. Somehad cots set up, some had mats with sleeping bags and 
pillows set up.

 "ALL the high school students were required to volunteer their time to take care of the "guests." Our 218 passengers ended up in 
a town called Lewisporte, about 45 kilometers from Gander where they were put up in a high school. If any women wanted to be in a women-only facility, that was arranged. Families were kept together. All the elderly passengers were taken to private homes.

 "Remember that young pregnant lady? She was put up in a 
private home right across the street from a 24-hour Urgent Care facility. There was a dentist on call and both male and female nurses remained with the crowd for the duration.

 "Phone calls and e-mails to the U.S. and around the world were
 available to everyone once a day. During the day, passengers 
wereoffered "Excursion" trips. Some people went on boat cruises 
of the lakes and harbors. Some went for hikes in the local forests. Local bakeries stayed open to make fresh bread for the guests. Food was prepared by all the residents and brought to the schools. 
People were driven to restaurants of their choice and offered wonderful meals.

 Everyone was given tokens for local laundry mats to wash their
clothes, since luggage was still on the aircraft. In other words,
 every single need was met for those stranded travelers.
 "Passengers were crying while telling us these stories. Finally,
 when they were told that U.S. airports had reopened, they were
 delivered to the airport right on time and without a single 
passenger missing or late. The local Red Cross had all the information about the whereabouts of each and every passenger and knew which plane they needed to be on and when all the 
planes were leaving. They coordinated everything beautifully. It was absolutely incredible.
 "When passengers came on board, it was like they had been on a
cruise. Everyone knew each other by name. They were swapping stories of their stay, impressing each other with who had the 
better time. Our flight back to Atlanta looked like a chartered 
party flight. The crew just stayed out of their way. It was mind-boggling.Passengers had totally bonded and were calling 
each other by their first names, exchanging phone numbers, addresses, and email addresses.

"And then a very unusual thing happened. One of our passengers
 approached me and asked if he could make an announcement 
over the PA system. We never, ever allow that. But this time was different. I said "of course" and handed him the mike. He picked 
up the PA and reminded everyone about what they had just gone through in the last few days. He reminded them of the hospitality they had received at the hands of total strangers. He continued by saying that he would like to do something in return for the good folks of Lewisporte.

 "He said he was going to set up a Trust Fund under the name of DELTA 15 (our flight number). The purpose of the trust fund is 
to provide college scholarships for the high school students of Lewisporte. He asked for donations of any amount from his fellow travelers. When the paper with donations got back to us with the amounts, names, phone numbers and addresses, the total was for more than $14,000!

 "The gentleman, a MD from Virginia , promised to match the donations and to start the administrative work on the scholarship. He also said that he would forward this proposal to Delta 
Corporate and ask them to donate as well. As I write this account, the trust fund is at more than $1.5 million and has assisted 134 students in college education.

 "I just wanted to share this story because we need good stories right now. It gives me a little bit of hope to know that some people in a far away place were kind to some strangers who literally dropped in on them. It reminds me how much good there is in the world."

 "In spite of all the rotten things we see going on in today’s world
 this story confirms that there are still a lot of good and Godly
 people in the world and when things get bad, they will come forward. "God Bless America ...and the Canadians."


No comments:

Post a Comment